Le Bon Mélange: The Afro-Centric Diamond

3:03:00 PM





" A rare diamond from the beautiful country of Cameroon."

My first feature for the "Bon Mélange" series will take you into the world of this Afro-Centric beauty with brains. See what it's like to embrace your roots, all while staying on your personal path towards greatness.


Name: Vanessa Acha
Hometown: Limbe, Cameroon
Current Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
Blog/Website: lovelyafricanworld.com
Tell me a little about yourself?
I come from a country in West Africa also known as "Africa in miniature" due to the cultural diversity. Cameroon alone, out of the 54 african nations has approx. 250 ethnic groups and each of these groups have their own dialect.
I now reside in Silver Spring, Maryland & am a student at Mount Saint Mary's University, double majoring in Biology & Nursing.


How old were you when you came to the U.S.?
I came to the United States at age 10, which makes it 9 years of me being here.
I commend you on your degree choices! What made you choose these fields?
Thank you, what made me pick this choice in degree is my love for humanity. I believe greatly in giving back, I believe in the concept of UBUNTU which means “I am because we are.” It is in a South African dialect called Xhosa. I want to be a pediatrician so that I can help those who suffer back home. Which again following the Ubuntu principle “I will be so my people will not lack." My biggest dream is to build a high-tech hospital in Cameroon because we lack those.
I love you also mentioned "I grew to embrace my culture, because it is what I identify by." Too many people today are hung on being what they're not. So, I once again commend you for embracing where you come from & actually making it apart of who you are. When it comes to being apart of such a rich culture, what makes you want to identify with your roots instead of the influences surrounding you?
Well as to what makes me want to identify with my roots instead of my surrounding is because Africa is my foundation, it is what I am made of and therefore I will claim it until the death of me. In this world I often tell myself we are all wonderfully made and there's that one thing that sets us aside from one another. My culture is one of the things that I hold dearly to my heart and I will forever cherish it. I come from a family who values culture as a whole. This is one of the things which led me to find myself having a passion not only for fashion but I gave myself a look that defined my being. I call it “My Afro-centric being.” Growing up as an African, I grew to embrace my culture because it is what I identify by. If it wasn't for Mama Africa I wouldn't be here today. I love being African, I love being me!
As you mentioned, your style is so beautifully Afro-Centric & eye catching, what are some of your staple pieces?
My style, like you said “Beautifully Afro-centric” is exactly what it is. I aim to inspire ladies to know that we don’t have to expose our assets in order to get compliments or be noticed. Although my style is very conservative, many love its simplicity. I dress up always because I believe it helps create a positive environment for yourself and others throughout the day. Some of my staple pieces would be my crown, high-waisted trousers, blouses and leather shoes. I too am a big fan of hair, like an African proverb says "a woman’s beauty lies in her hair." I love big hair and also natural protective styles. I also love the “Loc’ed up look” which is why I always have my hair twisted or braided.


What would you say keeps you centered? If you had to list 5 things or less that keeps your life in balance, what would they include? 
There are several things that keep me centered. One of them would be my desire to help others. Everything I do, I think of how it will impact the world around me. Not only with blogging but also just my attitude on a regular day. Another thing would be my “Golden book” the name speaks for itself. It is this gold notepad that I have in which I jot down every thought and new project that I’d like to work on daily. It helps me keep track of what I have done and what I need to do. Lastly, people’s responses as well. When I see that I helped someone in one way or the other I feel motivated to do so much more. These are just a few thing that keep me centered.


There you have it folks! Great words from a wise woman. I hope you enjoyed my first feature for this great series.
If you know anyone "Striving to achieve greatness", please send them my way. Everyone has a story & everyone has a personal legend, it's all a matter of if you believe in it wholeheartedly & stay on your path. Until next time!! <3
-Twanie

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram Photo Gallery

You Can Sit With Me

Stay updated & subscribe to the mailing list!

* indicates required